Joey Natelli
English 102
Topic Proposal
March 2, 2009
For my exploratory paper I chose the issue of the teenage driving age in South Carolina and the debate on whether the age should be risen or not. More and more young drivers are getting into fatal accidents and people are starting to believe that this is because they are too young and experienced for the road. What do we do? Well the first thing that comes to mind is that people want to raise the driving age. Debate has been going on back and forth from families that rely on their children to drive to school or run errands and families that think 15 year olds are too young to have that kind of responsibility and freedom. Some alternative ways to help prevent accidents is a program used in Clemson that teaches 1st graders about driving so they have a head start and will be more prepared in the future. Other states have stricter laws and curfews which prevent kids driving at dark and ultimately prevents accidents. In Spartanburg, South Carolina, BMW has a training facility for teenagers where they can practice driving on a controlled course to teach them the dangers of the road. As a member of a large family I don’t know how my mother would have been able to take care of my brothers and I unless my older brothers had their licenses to drive to school and other activities when they were 16 years old. I think the only solution is to have more intense training and courses before you get your license and stricter laws be used on younger drivers. I.E. Cellphone laws, passenger laws, and curfew laws. There is major debate for this topic and I feel this is a good paper to write, because I have been through this before and I understand the dilemma in the parent’s and children’s eyes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Joey, as I said during our conference, you are on the right track in terms of identifying the possible positions. However, make sure that in the draft besides saying that one group of parents thinks teenagers can/need to have the responsibility of driving on their own and the other doesn’t, you also show why these two groups of parents have their respective points of view. Also, when you talk about “the alternative” of early driver education, you need to formulate it in such a way that it is comparable to the first two, i.e. you need to say something like there are also people who think that teenagers can be trusted to drive only if they have had early driver’s education. Now, make sure that your preference for the third position does not prevent you from giving the first two perspectives just as much room in your essay.
ReplyDelete